Classic Cherry Clafoutis Recipe
This cherry clafoutis recipe is the perfect combination of elegant and comfort food combining fresh cherries cooked in a delicious flan.
- 3 cups pitted fresh dark cherries
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Rinse and pit the cherries and add them to a bowl along with 3 tablespoons of sugar and mix until coated. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the milk, remaining 1 cup of sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, and eggs until completely combined and smooth.
Butter a 9”-10” glass tart dish.
Place the cherries flat into the tart pan and pour the batter over top and bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned around the edges, lightly browned on top and firm in the center.
Cool slightly on a rack at room temperature and garnish with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day in advance and you can either serve it cold or warmed, just reheat slightly before serving.
- How to Reheat: Since this recipe is classically eaten warmed, wrap the clafoutis in foil and bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until just warm.
- How to Store: Cover with plastic and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This does not freeze well.
- You do not have to toss the cherries in sugar if they are sweet enough, however, if they are on the tart side then it is recommended.
- If you wanted to greatly enhance the flavor of this recipe you could sub the vanilla extract for vanilla bean seeds.
- You can bake this in a glass or ceramic coated tart dish, a cast-iron skillet, or a casserole-style dish.
- Make sure while whisking the batter that it is completely smooth. If you can’t get it this way blend in the blender for 20 seconds on high speed.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 231mg | Potassium: 152mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 201IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg