Croque Monsieur Recipe
This delicious French classic for a Croque Monsieur Recipe is a pan-cooked sandwich stacked high with ham, bechamel, and shredded cheese!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices of artisan bread
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16-24 slices of country ham
- 1 bechamel recipe
- 2 cups shredded comet cheese
Preheat the broiler to high heat.
Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a very large pan over medium-low heat until melted.
Add 4 slices of bread to the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted and lightly browned.
Flip the bread over to cook on the other side.
On two of the pieces of toasted bread add 1 tablespoon of mustard to each spreading it around to cover.
Add 4-6 slices of ham to the top of the toast with mustard and then evenly spread/layer on as follows: 2 to 3 tablespoons of bechamel, ¼ cup shredded cheese, a slice of toasted bread, 3-4 tablespoons of bechamel and ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
Place under the broiler on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.
Slice the sandwich and garnish optionally with chopped parsley.
Repeat the process to make the other 2 sandwiches.
- Make-Ahead: This sandwich is meant to be eaten as soon as it comes out of the broiler, but it can be reheated very easily.
- How to Reheat: Place the sandwich on a cookie sheet tray and bake in the oven at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until hot and the cheese is melted.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will not freeze well.
- With the leftover bechamel sauce, you can make potatoes au gratin, chicken nachos, biscuits, and gravy, or lasagna Bolognese.
- Since artisan bread has large slices you will most likely have to cook this in batches.
Calories: 954kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 2116mg | Potassium: 819mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1359IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 1032mg | Iron: 4mg