Creamy Rice Pudding Recipe
This delicious classic creamy vanilla rice pudding recipe topped off with raisins is the perfect after-dinner dessert or daytime treat.
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- Heaping 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup medium-grain rice
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
Slice the vanilla bean in half longways and scrape out all of the seeds using a knife. Place the seeds and hollowed out vanilla bean pods in a medium-size saucepot.
Add the milk, sugar, salt, and rice to the pot with the vanilla and bring to a rolling simmer over medium heat while constantly stirring.
Turn the heat down to low and stir every 2-3 minutes for 20-25 minutes until the rice is soft and the mixture is relatively thick, like a thin risotto.
Remove the vanilla pods and stir in the egg yolk and cinnamon until completely mixed in.
Transfer the rice to a casserole dish and spread out. Chill for 30-40 minutes or until cold.
Serve with raisins.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator before serving.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This does not freeze well.
- If you don’t have a vanilla bean, then use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and put it in right after you add in the cinnamon for maximum flavor.
- When it comes to adding in fruit or nuts, you can incorporate them when stirring in the cinnamon or add them right before serving. I prefer to add at the end before serving.
- To cool the rice pudding faster, spread it out on a sheet tray or in a casserole dish first before placing it in the refrigerator.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 461mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 411IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 252mg | Iron: 2mg