Easy Gougéres Recipe (Video)
These delicious, cheese-filled puffed Gougéres are a French delight and so incredibly easy to make. They are perfect as a snack or alongside a main meal.
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded comté or gruyere cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 tablespoon water
Add the water, butter, and salt to a medium-size pot and bring to a low simmer over medium-low heat and the butter is melted.
Stir in the flour until completely mixed in. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the 5 eggs 1 at a time until completely mixed in.
Stir in 1 ½ cups of cheese and nutmeg until combined.
Transfer the dough to a piping bag with a large tip and pipe out 2-3 tablespoons of the dough at a time that is placed about 2” apart from one another on cookie sheet trays lined with parchment paper until all the dough has been used.
Evenly brush each of the individual piped out dough with the yolk and water mixture.
Top off each dough with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.
Bake in the oven at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Make-Ahead: You can make these up to 1 day ahead of time.
- How to Reheat: Place them in a baking dish covered in foil and bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until softened and warm. You can also heat them on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave until soft and warm.
- How to Store: Cover them and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- They also freeze well covered in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
- You can also bake these on a foil-lined cookie sheet tray or even a Silpat.
- These are best served warm but can still be enjoyed cool or at room temperature.
- Instead of using a spoon, you can also use a whisk when making the dough.
Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 59mg | Potassium: 16mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 92IU | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1mg