Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe
Homemade sloppy joes are a whole lot easier to make then you may have thought, so learn how simple it is to do right from your own kitchen
For the Sloppy Joe:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 each seeded and small diced red and yellow bell peppers
- 6 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- ¼ heaping cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 10 buns
Add oil to a large pan over low to medium heat and sweat the peppers and garlic for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.
Add in the ground beef, turn the heat to medium and cook until all of the pink is gone, about 7-9 minutes.
Next, pour in the tomato puree, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and chili powder and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes.
Finish by stirring in salt and pepper and serve on buns with optional toppings.
- How to Reheat: Simply add the desired amount of sloppy joe into a saucepan and cook over low heat until hot. You can also heat it in the microwave until hot.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How to Freeze: Keep it covered in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating it.
- This recipe makes a lot of sloppy joes so please scale down or up to fit your needs. Simply place your cursor over the servings amount in the recipe card and slide up or down to scale.
Calories: 702kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 574mg | Potassium: 869mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 795IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 16mg