Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe
Skip the grocery store and learn how easy it is to jar up your own bread and butter pickles in under 90 minutes.
- 12 pickling cucumbers
- 2 cups distilled vinegar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 1 peeled thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 12-15 cloves
Slice your pickles to your desired slice and pack them into 4 16-ounce sterilized mason jars.
In a large pot add the vinegars, sugar, onion, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, celery seed, turmeric and cloves to a pot and bring to a boil or until the sugar and salt is dissolved.
Evenly pour the brine liquid overtop of the cucumbers in the jar until they are completely covered.
Cool to room temperature, add a lid, label and date and store in the refrigerator for 4-6 weeks.
- How to Store: Keep the lid on the jar and store in the refrigerator under 40° for 4-6 weeks.
- How to Freeze: Pickles do not freeze well so we advise against it.
- How to Seal: Once the brine has been poured over top of the cucumbers you will immediately screw on the lid and place into a pot of boiling water with a rack in it and boil for 10 minutes. Simply cool it too room temperature and keep for up to 1 year. You will know it has sealed correctly if the lid on the jar will not move at all when pressing in the center of it.
- If you can’t find any pickling cucumber varieties you can simply slice a regular or hothouse cucumber into spears or chips.
Calories: 19kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 106mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 54IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg