Homemade Apple Pie Recipe From Scratch
There is nothing like an apple pie recipe from scratch during the fall months & winter holidays that is topped off with ice cream and caramel.
Apple Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter cut up
- ½ cup cold rendered bacon fat
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 whisked egg
Apple Pie Filling:
- 3 pounds of 5 each peeled cored and sliced Granny Smith and Fuji Apples
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Dough: Add the flour, butter, bacon fat, salt and sugar to a food processor and pulse on high speed while drizzling in the water until it becomes like a meal. Note: you may need a bit more water.
Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes
Filling: Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and add to a clean surface dusted with flour and roll out each dough with a pin until they are each 1/8” thick.
Transfer 1 of the rolled-out doughs to a fluted 9” pie pan and form completely. Cut off and discard, and excess.
Add the chilled apples to the pie pan and flatten out to level.
Add the other rolled out dough to the top and form it to the other pie dough pinching it on the outside edges. cut off and discard any excess
Brush the top of the pie with the whisked egg completely coating it. Optionally sprinkle on sugar.
10. Cut 4 slits in the center of the pie and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Turn the heat down to 375° and bake for 30 minutes.
11. Cool completely to room temperature and serve with ice cream and caramel.
• My combination of choice are the ones on the opposite ends of the sweet and sour flavor spectrum, Grammy Smith and Fuji apples.
• If you just want to do the prep now and make the pie later, hold the sliced apples in pineapple juice to help keep them from turning brown.
• When making the crust, It’s important for the butter and bacon fat to keep cool so that the pie does not fall while in the oven.
• How to Reheat and Serve: Apple pie can be served cold, but if you are one of those who like warm apple pie, simply heat up a slice in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve the apple pie with whipped cream or ice cream and caramel sauce.
• How to Store: Apple pie will hold in the refrigerator, covered for up to 7 days. Likewise, apple pie freezes well covered in plastic for up to 3 months. Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before slicing and serving.
Calories: 443kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 307IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg