Pasta e Fagioli Soup Recipe
Learn how to make this classic pasta e Fagioli soup recipe that is packed with beans, pasta, veggies and pancetta for the perfect meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces medium diced pancetta bacon
- 1 medium diced white onion
- 4 medium diced stalks of celery
- 4 peeled medium diced carrots
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 28 ounce can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup cannellini beans soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 cup of borlotti beans soaked overnight in cold water
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 parmesan cheese rinds
- 1 tablespoon each finely minced fresh rosemary and parsley
- 1 pound of ditalini pasta cooked and cooled
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- grated parmesan for garnish
Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat and cook the pancetta until browned and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove the cooked pancetta and set aside. Add in the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over low to medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes before adding in the tomatoes, beans, stock, and rinds and cook for 45 minutes until the beans are tender.
Take 3 cups of the soup ingredients plus a ½ cup of the chicken stock and add to a blender and blend on high until it forms a thick paste.
Add the bean paste back to the soup pot and mix it in.
Finish the soup with herbs, salt, and pepper.
Serve the soup with some cooked pasta, freshly grated parmesan cheese, herbs, and more crisp-cooked pancetta.
• I used a combination of borlotti and cannellini beans just to add more delicious bean flavor to the mix!
• I used whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes that I crushed with my hands and juice but you can just use the tomatoes if you are wanting the pasta fagioli soup to be more of a broth base and less tomatoey.
• If you want your pasta fagioli to be really thick, simply mix in a slurry which is 3 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water.
• I often times reserve a few of the crisp cooked pancetta lardons to garnish with as well.
• How to Reheat: To reheat the pasta fagioli simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot and heat over low heat until hot. You can also simply add your desired portion to microwave safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
• How to Store: The pasta fagioli recipe will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 4 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.
Calories: 383.07kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.98g | Protein: 16.46g | Fat: 13.51g | Saturated Fat: 3.76g | Cholesterol: 19.57mg | Sodium: 617.88mg | Potassium: 668.7mg | Fiber: 5.09g | Sugar: 7.93g | Vitamin A: 3553.45IU | Vitamin C: 9.33mg | Calcium: 70.91mg | Iron: 2.51mg