Ham Green Beans and Potatoes Stew
A delicious 5 ingredient stew loaded with green beans, chunks of ham and tender potatoes that makes for the perfect weekend meal.
- 3-5 pounds of trimmed green beans
- 2 small or 1 large peeled yellow onion
- 1 pound salt pork
- 3 pounds large diced russet potatoes peelings optional
- 3 pounds ham cut into 1” cubes
Add the beans, onion and salt pork to an extra-large pot and fill it up with water until the beans are covered by 1 inch.
Cook over low to medium heat for 4 hours, remember the longer the better so you can go up to 8 hours here.
Add in the potatoes and ham after the 4 hour cooking time and continue to cook for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- All of the cutting techniques for the green beans will render the exact same result so, however, you do choose to do it, is up to you.
- The longer the stew is cooked, the more flavor comes out.
- Remember you want whole ham, DO NOT buy pre spiralized cut ham.
- How to Reheat: To reheat the stew simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot and heat over low heat until hot. You can also simply add your desired portion to microwave safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
- How to Store: The ham, green beans and potatoes stew will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 968mg | Potassium: 642mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 469IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg