Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe
This shaved brussel sprout salad is jam packed with apples and almonds in an apple cider vinaigrette making it the perfect first course.
For the Dressing:
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ peeled and sliced red onion
- 2 pounds shaved Brussels sprouts
- ½ shaved fennel bulb
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 each medium diced granny smith and fuji apple
- ½ cup blue cheese
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Optional Toppings: microgreens pan-seared chicken breasts, pan-seared salmon
Dressing: Add the lemon juice, vinegar, mayonnaise, thyme, sugar and salt and pepper to a medium-size bowl.
Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
Salad: Mix the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and submerge the sliced red onions in the mixture. Pickle for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
To Serve: Add the shaved Brussels sprouts to a very large serving bowl and sprinkle on the shaved fennel, dried cherries, almonds, apples, blue cheese, hard-boiled eggs, pomegranate seeds, and pickled onions,
Serve with optional toppings and alongside the vinaigrette dressing.
- Mandolins: these are very sharp so my rule of thumb when using it is, when you start getting nervous while slicing it then stop. Simple as that.
- Make-Ahead: you can absolutely make this up to 2 days ahead of time and my recommendation would be to keep the toppings separate before you are ready to serve it.
- How to Store: this salad will last up to 3 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Protein: If you wanted to add more protein to this dish please feel free to add on some cooked chicken breasts or cooked salmon fillets.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 528mg | Potassium: 498mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1150IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg