Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing Recipe with Chorizo Sausage
A delicious alternative to the turkey norm packed with gluten free cornbread stuffing, vegetables and chorizo sausage.
For the Cornbread:
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 ounces melted unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free cornmeal
- 2 ½ cups 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the Chorizo Stuffing:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 2 peeled small diced carrots
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ pounds loose chorizo sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- sliced green onions for garnish
Cornbread: Preheat the oven to 325°
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and butter. Set aside.
in a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk and baking soda and then pour it into the large bowl with eggs, sugar, and butter.
Fold in the cornmeal and flour until combined and the evenly spread the batter out on a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
Bake in the oven at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool and then cut into 1” cubes. Note: you will have some leftover.
In a large saute pan on medium heat with butter, add in the vegetables and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Once brown, add in the chorizo and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through.
In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and chicken stock and set aside.
Combine the cornbread cubes with the chorizo mixture and eggs and chicken stock mixture and gently mix
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
10. Garnish with green onions and serve.
Calories: 598kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 863mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1995IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 2.8mg