Easy Homemade Hummus Recipe from Scratch
Once you try this easy to make homemade hummus recipe from scratch, you will never buy it from the store again, it's that delicious!
- 4 ½ cups of cooked dried chickpeas or 4 1/2 cups canned – see notes
- ½ cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup roasted garlic
- ¼ cup roasted garlic olive oil – see notes on how to make
- sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse on high speed until it forms a thick paste
Next, add in the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and process over low heat for 2-4 minutes while drizzling in the roasted garlic olive oil until very smooth.
Serve with on a plate with a drizzle of olive oil, cayenne, and optional chopped parsley.
- Submerge some dried chickpeas in cold water and let them sit overnight. I like for the water to cover the chickpeas by at least 4 inches. Drain the chickpeas and transfer to a pot and add in cold water until it is covering the garbanzo beans by about 2 inches. Also add in 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Bring them to a boil over high heat and then simmer for 30-40 minutes over low heat or until tender. Drain the cooked garbanzo beans and transfer to a pot or bowl and cover them with cold water.
- Place your hands into the pot or bowl and move the chickpeas around, irritating them so that the outside shell falls off. Scoop up the shells using a hands trainer and remove. While this step is not necessary will make your hummus so much creamier and delicious. Drain the chickpeas and set aside. if you are using canned chickpeas, all you need to do is drain them and they are ready to use.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 days ahead of time, simply keep cool and covered before serving.
- How to Store: Keep covered and in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. This will not freeze well.
- You can absolutely skip the soaking and cooking of the dried chickpeas for canned and drained garbanzo beans.
- Substitute the olive oil in the recipe for some water if you are looking for it to be on the healthier side.
- To make roasted garlic, cook 1 ½ cups of garlic cloves in 2 cups of extra virgin olive oil over low heat for 30-40 minutes or until soft and very browned.
- You may need to adjust the flavor with more tahini, lemon juice, or salt.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 57IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5mg