Vinegar Based Coleslaw Recipe
Try this amazingly delicious and easy to make side dish for a Vinegar Based Coleslaw recipe at your next barbecue or backyard get together!
- 1/2 thinly sliced head of green cabbage
- 1 cup of thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 whole shredded carrots
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey or 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of celery seed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and olive oil and set aside. In a separate bowl mix together cabbages, carrots, green onions, and celery seed.
Next, pour a small amount of the dressing on the cabbage mixture and mix until combined and until the desired amount of dressing is achieved.
Season with salt and pepper, and chill before serving.
- Make Ahead: If you make this vinegar coleslaw ahead of time and slice the vegetables super thin, it may not be perfect when you go to serve it several hours later or the next day. If you plan on making it ahead of time I would recommend combining the vegetables and keeping the dressing separate right until you are ready to serve.
- How to Store: It is best to store this coleslaw recipe undressed and unseasoned covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It can stay in the refrigerator undressed and unseasoned for up to 3 days. When ready to serve simply pour the vinaigrette over top, season with salt and pepper, toss and serve.
- Now just know that when you shave vegetables super thin like I did in this recipe and apply an acid to it, like vinegar, it’s going to break down faster and become wilted or to put it simply, soggy.
- You can substitute honey or agave for sugar in this recipe.
- To save some time, If you don't want to slice the cabbages and carrots yourself, then I suggest buying the pre-made slaw mix, it will work just as well.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1850IU | Vitamin C: 19.2mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 0.4mg