Ham and Lentil Soup Recipe
Try a bowl of this comforting ham and lentil soup that goes perfect during those fall months and to help use up leftover holiday ham!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 each small diced yellow onion
- 4 each small diced stalks of celery
- 4 each peeled and small diced carrots
- 3 each finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 cups trimmed green beans
- 2 each peeled and medium diced russet potatoes
- 2 lbs medium diced ham
- 96 ounces chicken stock
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh parsley and thyme
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Add the sausage to a large pot over medium heat and cook it until browned and cooked throughout about 7-9 minutes.
Set the sausage to the side and add the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots to the pot and saute for 6-8 minutes in the rendered Italian sausage fat.
Next, add back in the cooked sausage, ham, green beans, potatoes, and chicken stock and cook on low heat.
Rinse the lentils and then add them to the pot, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
Add in herbs, salt and pepper and serve. Note: Remember soup gets better with time so the longer it can sit and simmer on low heat the better it will taste.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 901mg | Potassium: 541mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 138IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 3mg