Authentic Kalbi Recipe (Korean Short Ribs)
This Korean style short ribs recipe known as Kalbi is marinated overnight in a tasty sweet fruit marinade and grilled to perfection.
- ½ peeled yellow onion
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger trimmed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 peeled and seeded Asian pear
- 1 peeled and seeded Fuji apple
- ½ peeled kiwi
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 pounds kalbi cut short ribs
Add all of the ingredients except for the ribs and green onions to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a plastic zip bag and completely submerge the ribs in the marinade.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight.
Add the ribs right from the marinade to a hot grill in between 450° and 550° and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until dark grill marks have formed.
Remove from the grill, garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions and serve right away.
• You can also add in 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of regular sugar to make the marinade more intense in flavor.
• The marinade will last up to 4 days if you choose not to marinate the short ribs right away.
• I like to move the marinated ribs around in the bag every 4-6 hours to make sure they are getting exposed to the marinade.
• Don’t marinate the ribs for more than 24 hours.
Calories: 592kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 993mg | Potassium: 999mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 6mg