Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
Try this amazing Zuppa Toscana recipe loaded with Italian sausage, kale, cannellini beans, potatoes, Parmesan cheese and herbs!
- 1 bag of cannellini beans
- 2 pounds of loose mild Italian sausage
- 1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 2 peeled small diced carrots
- 5 cloves of finely minced garlic
- ¼ cup of flour
- 96 ounces of chicken stock
- 2-3 Parmesan cheese rinds
- 3 sliced russet potatoes
- 8 strips of chopped crisp cooked bacon
- 1 head of roughly chopped kale
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- chopped fresh oregano and basil for garnish - optional
Add the beans to a large container and cover them completely in water. Let sit overnight and then drain. Set aside.
Next, add the sausage to a large pot over medium-high heat and cook until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic to the pot and sweat the vegetables for 6 to 8 minutes over medium-low heat.
Stir in the flour until combined and then add back in the sausage, the beans, chicken stock, and cheese rinds, and cook over low heat until the beans are tender.
Next, add in the potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
Finish by adding in the bacon, kale, heavy cream, salt, and pepper and then serve!
- The overnight way to soak beans is better, but I understand if you are strapped for time so bring water to a boil and pour them over the beans and let them sit for 1 hour before using.
- Some other recipes call to render the bacon fat first and you can do that, but if you did that and then cooked the sausage you would have a pot of grease.
- When thickening the soup you’re not looking for this thing to resemble alfredo sauce, but you do want somebody to this Zuppa Toscana soup recipe.
- How to Reheat: To reheat the Zuppa Toscana soup simply add your desired portion to a small saucepot and heat over low heat until hot. You can also simply add your desired portion to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
- How to Store: The Zuppa Toscana soup recipe will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 746mg | Potassium: 586mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1673IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg