Grilled Skirt Steak Recipe with Polenta
Impress your guests with this Grilled Skirt Steak Recipe with Polenta. Learn how to roast tomatoes and garlic scapes in this dish!
For the Vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of garlic scapes
- 1 bunch of thinly shaven asparagus
- 1 thinly shaven fennel bulb
- 2 cups of baby arugula
- 10 cooked crispy slices of Pancetta
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Steak:
- 2 pound skirt steak
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
For the Garnishes
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh oregano leaves
- reduced balsamic vinegar
- crumbled blue cheese
Polenta: prepare 1 recipe for polenta
Vegetables: Coat all the vegetables in olive oil, season them with salt and pepper and spread out on sheet pans lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven on 375° for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to blister and the asparagus and fennel begin to brown.
Steak: Coat the steak with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook on a hot grill (450° to 550°) for 2 minutes on each side. Once it is done grilling let the steak rest for a few minutes before thinly slicing it against the grain.
To Plate: Place down a healthy scoop of creamy polenta followed up with some arugula leaves, shaved asparagus, shaved fennel, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic scapes, and crispy pancetta. Top off with the thinly sliced skirt steak, fresh herb leaves, a few drops of reduced balsamic vinegar, and blue cheese crumbles.
- This recipe as a whole was intended for family or friends gathering. It is definitely more of a restaurant-style dish and perfect for impressing your guests.
- Always figure about 8 ounces per serving so essentially 1 pound of skirt steak will feed 2 people. However, if you are serving tacos than 1 pound will feed 4.
- Grilling on high heat will ensure your skirt steak is marked, cooked and will give you the best opportunity for it not to stick to the grill.
- Always rest your meat as it will allow the juices to suck back into the steak making it even juicier.
- This video does a great job showing how to cut it.
Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 208mg | Potassium: 1104mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 730IU | Vitamin C: 26.8mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 5.2mg