Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
This authentic Jamaican Jerk chicken recipe is marinated in a delicious blend of spices and grilled to perfection for the perfect weeknight meal!
- 1 peeled sweet onion
- 3 green onions
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or 1 habanero pepper or 2 jalapeños
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup palm or olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 3 pounds of mixed chicken things and drums or breasts
Add all of the ingredients but the chicken to a blender and blend on high speed until slightly chunky resembling apple sauce.
Transfer the mixture to a plastic zip bag, casserole dish or plastic container and completely submerge the chicken.
Cover and keep in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, 400° to 450°.
Take the chicken out of the marinade and cook on the grill for about 25 minutes turning the chicken every 8 minutes or so to develop a light char. The chicken should reach 165° internally before removing from the grill.
Garnish with green onions and lime wedges and serve.
- Make-Ahead: This recipe is best eaten as soon as it is cooked.
- How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This will freeze, cooked first, covered for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
- How to Reheat: Place on a cooking sheet tray lined with parchment and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise, you can heat up in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate until hot.
- You can also use this same marinade and method with steak, fish, pork or vegetables.
- The longer you can marinate up to 24 hours the more flavorful it will be.
- Do not be alarmed if your chicken is lightly charring, it is supposed to happen when grilling jerk chicken.
- I usually like to close the door on the grill after the first flip of the chicken to help roast it better.
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 619mg | Potassium: 426mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 245IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1.6mg