Fish Fry Recipe
Try this delicious and easy to make Fish Fry Recipe with homemade french fries and an amazing tartar sauce recipe.
- 2 pounds of fresh cod or walleye cut into 4-ounce fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 cup dark beer
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 1 tartar sauce recipe
- 1 fries recipe
- lemons and malt vinegar for garnish
- Oil for frying
Heat oil to 350°.
Fish: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sparkling water, beer, salt and pepper until it is completely combined.
Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until ready to use.
Next, dredge the fish completely into the batter 1 to 2 at at a time and add it to a fryer, or pot with oil at 350° for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or golden brown and cooked throughout.
Once they are cooked, remove from the fryer and set on a plate lined with a paper towel or on a rack over a cookie sheet tray to drain any excess oil.
Repeat until all of the fish is cooked
Serve the fish with tartar sauce, fries, lemon wedges and malt vinegar.
- To Keep Hot: Place on a rack over a cookie sheet tray and keep in the oven at 225° until ready to serve.
- Make-Ahead: You can fry the fish up to 30 minutes before serving, just be sure to keep them warm in the oven.
- How to Reheat: Place on a rack over a cookie sheet tray and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until hot.
- How to Store: Place in between layers of parchment paper in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Now it certainly helps to have a deep fryer, but you can still pull this off if you have a pot, a thermometer and plenty of oil.
- The cornstarch in the batter helps to make a thick outside crust, if you want you can use 2 cups of flour and 2 tablespoons of baking powder instead.
- You can use just sparkling water or just beer or a combination of both if you choose.
- Fish is cooked all the way though when it reaches 145° internally.
- If cooking more than 1 fish at a time, be sure to keep the fish about 1″ to 2″ from each other or else they are going to stick together.
- To keep the fish hot without being soggy, place them on a rack on sheet tray and keep hot in the oven at 225°.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 468mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg