Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale
Try a bowl of this delicious Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale that is loaded with tomatoes, vegetables and herbs!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 3 peeled and small diced carrots
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups of Bobs Red Mill Brown Lentils
- 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 96 ounces of good chicken stock
- 2 pounds of sliced beef smoked sausage
- 2 15 ounce cans of chickpeas drained
- 1 bunch of trimmed fresh kale
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: shredded fontina crostini’s and chopped chives
In a large pot on medium high heat with olive oil, brown the onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
Once brown add in the thyme, lentils, tomatoes, stock, sausage and chickpeas and simmer on low heat for 60 to 90 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Season with Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and salt and pepper and serve hot with optional garnishes: fontina, crostini’s and chopped chives.
Serve the kale a handful at a time in individual serving portions so that it does not wilt.
Calories: 537kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 918mg | Potassium: 1157mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3296IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 6mg