Gumbo from Bayou Country
Change up your thanksgiving leftover routine by making this amazing Leftover Turkey Gumbo Recipe with Shrimp and Brown Rice!
Servings 1 1/2 gallons
For the Roux:
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups of Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
For the Gumbo:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of shelled 30/40 shrimp
- 2 peeled and small diced small yellow onions
- 5 small diced stalks of celery
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 each seeded and small diced red and green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon of gumbo filé
- 3 cups of cooked chopped leftover turkey
- 2 cups of cooked medium diced leftover ham
- 8 ounces of cooked sliced andouille sausage
- 96 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 pound of sliced frozen okra
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups of cooked Brown Rice
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce to taste
Roux: In a large pot add in the butter and flour and make a dark roux over medium-low heat, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the dark roux and set aside.
Next, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and cook the shrimp over medium heat until they are just about cooked and then remove them and chill.
Next, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and sear the onions, celery, garlic and peppers for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
Stir in the gumbo filé and then add in the turkey, ham, sausage and chicken stock and bring it to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling stir in the roux and continue to stir until it becomes thick.
Finish by adding the okra, thyme, parsley and shrimp and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve the gumbo over the cooked brown rice and garnish with optional garnishes: crispy prosciutto ham, lemon zest, chopped parsley and thyme.
Calories: 7818kcal | Carbohydrates: 872g | Protein: 420g | Fat: 287g | Saturated Fat: 103g | Cholesterol: 1984mg | Sodium: 13952mg | Potassium: 10309mg | Fiber: 57g | Sugar: 69g | Vitamin A: 8474IU | Vitamin C: 369mg | Calcium: 1703mg | Iron: 51mg