Bacon Wrapped Dates Recipe
If you’re looking for the perfect appetizer, then try this bacon-wrapped dates recipe that is simmered in brown sugar and bourbon.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey
- 13 strips medium thick-cut bacon cut in half
- 25 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
Preheat the oven to 325°.
Add the brown sugar, butter and whipped cream to a medium-size saucepot and cook over low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until cooked and smooth. See notes on the texture below. Set aside.
Wrap each date in a ½ slice piece of bacon and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and place each bacon-wrapped date bacon seam side down and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the bacon is browned and crispy. See note on cooking it batches.
Drain the rendered bacon fat and add the crisp bacon-wrapped dates back into the pan and pour the caramel over top.
Bake in the oven at 325° for 15-17 minutes.
- Make-Ahead: You can make the bacon wrapped dates 2 days ahead of time. The day you plan on serving them, add them to a pot, cover with a lid and cook over low heat until hot.
- How to Reheat add them to a pot, cover with a lid and cook over low heat until hot. You can also heat in the microwave until hot or place them on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake them at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until hot.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How to Freeze: These do not freeze that well, but you can place them in the freezer covered for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 full day before reheating.
- Stay away from any flavored bacon to wrap the dates in.
- Cook the bacon wrapped dates in batches if there isn’t enough room in the pan.
- When you cook them with the end of the bacon seam side down into the pan it cooks the bacon together sealing it together so no need for a toothpick.
- Don’t worry if the sides of the bacon don’t get cooked while crisping it in the pan as it will finish cooking in the oven.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg