Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
Homemade Flour tortillas are incredibly simple to make with few ingredients and quick cooking times for the best burritos and tacos of all time.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup canola oil or rendered bacon fat
- 1 ½ cup warm water
Add the flour, salt and baking powder to a stand mixer with the hook attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
Slowly drizzle in the oil until combined and then slowly drizzle in the water until combined.
Knead on low speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until it forms a soft dough ball.
Divide the dough into 20 small dough ball pieces and roll to form a round golf ball sized ball.
On a floured clean surface roll out each dough ball using a rolling pin until it is 8” to 10” in diameter.
In a large pan over medium-low heat cook each tortilla for 30 to 45 seconds on each side.
Air pockets should form and there should be a few light browned spots on each side.
Serve immediately or keep warm.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time, simply store in the refrigerator and reheat. They are best cooked, kept warm and served immediately.
- How to Reheat: Wrap the desired amount of tortillas in aluminum foil and cook in the oven at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until warm. Likewise, you can heat them 1 at a time on a microwave-safe plate until hot.
- How to Store: Place wrapped in plastic or in a container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- How to Freeze: These will freeze very well wrapped in plastic or in a container for up to 3 months. Place in the refrigerator to thaw until soft, about 4 to 6 hours.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg