The Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Learn how to make an authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich loaded up with caramelized onions and a delicious cheese sauce.
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- sea salt to taste
For the Sandwich:
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter ghee
- 2 peeled and sliced yellow onions
- 2 pounds thinly sliced ribeye steak
- 4 8 ” buns
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce: Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size pot and cook over low heat stirring often until hot and thick. Keep warm.
Add 1 ½ tablespoons of clarified butter to a large frying pan or flattop over medium-high heat and cook the onions until lightly browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Set to the side.
Add the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of clarified butter to the pan and add in the sliced steak.
Cook for 2-4 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked throughout.
Add ½ of the cooked onions to the top of the beef, season with salt and pepper and mix together until combined.
To Serve: Add the sliced buns cut side down onto the other side of the pan or flat top to heat up and lightly toast.
Evenly divide the sliced cooked steak between the lightly toasted buns and top off with the remaining caramelized onions and cheese sauce.
- Make-Ahead: You can caramelize the onions and meat 2-3 hours ahead of serving. Simply keep them warm in a crockpot or in a pan over low heat. The meat is thin enough that it will stay tender.
- How to Reheat the Steak: Add the desired amount of steak and onions to a small frying pan over low heat and cook until hot. You can also heat in a microwave-safe bowl until hot.
- How to Reheat the Sauce: Add the desired amount to a small saucepan and heat over low heat while occasionally stirring until hot.
- How to Store: Keep the cooked meat and onions separate from the buns and sauce and cover in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The sauce will keep for up to 5 days covered in the fridge.
- How to Freeze: Keep the cooked meat and onions separate from the buns and sauce and cover in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Tools Needed: You can use a flat top pan or a regular large frying pan. You will also need a metal spatula.
Calories: 1298kcal | Carbohydrates: 109g | Protein: 72g | Fat: 63g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 212mg | Sodium: 1423mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 443IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 443mg | Iron: 36mg