This sofrito recipe is so easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment to rice, beans, veggies or meat to really enhance the flavor.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 0 minutes
Servings 6 cups
- 2 seeded and roughly cut red bell peppers
- 2 seeded and roughly cut green bell peppers
- 1 small peeled and roughly cut yellow onion
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 15-20 culantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Place the peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, cilantro, and red wine vinegar into a blender and blend on medium speed while drizzling in the olive oil until it is smooth and blended.
Store in small plastic containers in the fridge or freezer and pull out as needed.
- How to Store: Place it in small containers with lids into the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How to Freeze: Place in small containers with lids into the freezer for up to 3 months, simple pull out as much as needed. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before using.
- Sofrito is great to freeze in silicon molds for the freezer where you can pop out like ice cubes and use where needed.
- Make Ahead: Similar to soup, sofrito will get better with time as it will allow flavors to infuse. With that being said you can make sofrito up to 3 days before ready to use.
- I cannot stress this enough, sofrito ingredients will depends on who is making it and the flavor profile that is desired.
- You may need more oil when blending to ensure it blends smoothly and is not too chunky.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1749IU | Vitamin C: 86mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg