Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Learn the tricks to make the absolute best creamiest roasted garlic mashed potatoes that make for the perfect side dish to any main entrée.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
- ½ cup trimmed garlic cloves + 10-12
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter + 4 tablespoons melted
- 4 pounds peeled and quartered Yukon potatoes
- ¼ cup sour cream
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
Add the olive oil and ½ cup of garlic cloves to a small pot and heat over low heat until brown and tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and keep both to the side.
Next, add the cream and sticks of butter to a separate small sauce pot and keep warm over low heat. It should be melted before using.
Add the potatoes to a large pot of salted water along with the 10-12 garlic cloves and cook over medium-high heat to a low boil for 10-12 minutes or until the easily fall off a fork when piercing.
Strain the potatoes and transfer along with the roasted garlic cloves to a food mill, stand mixer, hand mixer or hand masher and mash the potatoes until smooth.
Fold in the hot cream and butter, ½ cup to ¾ cup of roasted garlic olive oil, sour cream, salt and pepper using a rubber spatula to completely combine. See Note.
Serve the potatoes with extra melted butter and chopped chives for garnish.
- In my own humble opinion, the best potato out there for mashing are Yukon potatoes because of their balance of sugar to starch, but you can absolutely use russet or red new potatoes in this recipe.
- If you notice the mashed potatoes have sucked up all the cream and oil and are really thick, feel free to add more oil and sour cream to help thin out a little bit.
- REHEATING YOUR GARLIC MASHED POTATOES: To reheat the garlic mashed potatoes simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot with a little bit of butter or milk and heat over low heat until hot. In addition you can simply add them to the microwave and heat until hot.
- STORING AND FREEZING CHICKEN STOCK: Garlic mashed potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator covered in plastic for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen covered for up to 2 months, however they will lose quite a bit of moisture and flavor if frozen
Calories: 238.65kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.65g | Protein: 5.7g | Fat: 13.56g | Saturated Fat: 6.75g | Cholesterol: 36.03mg | Sodium: 33.03mg | Potassium: 802.56mg | Fiber: 4.68g | Sugar: 0.26g | Vitamin A: 385.68IU | Vitamin C: 22.95mg | Calcium: 88.53mg | Iron: 6.01mg