French Silk Pie Recipe
this delicious classic recipe for French silk pie is super easy to make and always a fan favorite after any meal!
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Cooling Time 2 hours
Total Time 51 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- ¼ cup of ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup of sugar + 2/3 more
- 4 eggs
For the Crust: Preheat the oven to 450°.
add the flour, butter, salt and sugar to a food processor and pulse on high speed while drizzling in the water until it becomes like a meal. Note: you may need a bit more water.
Transfer the dough to a clean surface dusted with flour and roll the dough out with a pin until it is 1/8 thick.
Form the dough to a 9” pie pan cutting off any excess and crimping the edges to make a ripple around the outside.
Add a piece of parchment paper over top of the pie crust followed up with some dried beans and park bake for 6 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Filling: Add the heavy cream and ½ cup of sugar to a standing mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks have formed, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Set 1/3 of the whipped cream into a separate container but chill both the 1/3 and 2/3 in the refrigerator until it’s time to use it.
Add the chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Stir and return to the microwave for :30 seconds. Stir and return to the microwave for :30 more seconds. At this point it should be melted. Cool to room temperature
10. Add the butter and sugar to a standing mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on high speed until the butter becomes light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Mix in chocolate
11. Next add in 2 of the eggs and beat for 2 minutes before adding in the other 2 eggs. Beat for a further 3-4 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
12. Fold in the chilled 1/3 cup of heavy cream using a rubber spatula until all of the white cream has been mixed in.
13. Transfer the filling to the par baked pie crust and smooth out using a spoon or spatula.
14. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
15. Top off with remaining chilled whipped cream and add optional garnish of shaved chocolate.
Calories: 557kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 177mg | Sodium: 180mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 28.6% | Vitamin C: 0.4% | Calcium: 6% | Iron: 8.9%