Arroz Con Pollo Recipe
If you are looking for a great weeknight meal, then this authentic arroz con pollo recipe is exactly what you need to make!
- 1 whole broken down into parts roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon of oil or rendered bacon fat
- 96 ounce of chicken stock
- 2 each seeded and small diced red and yellow bell pepper
- 2 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 8 to 10 finely minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons of oil mixed with 2 tablespoons of annatto seeds
- 2 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of Spanish pimento-stuffed olives
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- 3 cups of basmati rice
- 1 cup of peas
- sea salt and cracked fresh pepper to taste
Season the chicken parts on all sides with salt and pepper.
Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large rondeau over medium-high heat and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Pour the chicken stock over the chicken and turn the heat down to low and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
In a separate large rondeau or pot add in the 4 tablespoons of oil and annatto seeds and cook over low for 30 seconds or until the color comes out. Discard the seeds and then add in the diced peppers, onions and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add in the tomatoes and stew for 3 to 4 minutes before adding in the olives, cilantro, cumin, coriander, rice, peas and 6 cups of the chicken stock that the chicken parts are braising in, along with salt and pepper and stir until combined.
Add the braised chicken parts over top, place a lid on and cook for 25 to 30 minutes over low heat until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions and serve.
Calories: 903kcal | Carbohydrates: 106g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1204mg | Potassium: 1276mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1935IU | Vitamin C: 73.6mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 5.1mg