Elote Recipe (Mexican Street Corn)
Elote is a delicious Mexican classic corn on the cob side dish that is smothered in mayonnaise, spices & cheese for an irresistible flavor.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 6 ears of corn un shucked
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of crema Mexicana
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1/2 cup of cotija, panela, queso fresco, or manchago cheese, crumbled or shredded
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- sea salt to taste
Place the un shucked corn on a hot grill (450°) and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the corn is done. Make sure to constantly turn the corn so that it cooks on all sides as it should be browned on the outer husk on all sides.
Once the corn is cooked, remove them from the grill and pull back the husks taking care not to rip them off. Tie the husks back with butchers twine.
Next whisk together the mayonnaise, crema and salt until completely combine and then generously spread it on all of the corn. Sprinkle with the cumin, chili powder and cheese all over the corn.
Garnish with cilantro and serve alongside lime slices.
- Usually I am very traditional and keep recipes the way they were intended to be made, but sometimes I want to push things in the flavor department to see how much taste I can get out of it and that is what I did here.
- When cooking the elote on the grill it steam cooks it and will shuck with ease allowing the silk to pull right off when doing it. The husk will also act as handle to eat the corn if you don’t shuck it all the way and simply pull it back.
- If you choose to grill the corn and use the husk as the handle for eating remember to only pull the husk back so that it is still intact with the corn and the cob and then tie a few pieces of butchers twine around the husk so that it isn’t going everywhere.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 532IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 1mg