Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe
Make this delicious simple to prepare creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup loaded with vegetables that the whole family will love.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 7-9 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 peeled medium diced carrots
- 3 medium diced stalks of celery
- 1 peeled small-dice yellow onion
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ¼ cups wild rice blend
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons corn starch whisked with 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
Next, add the oil to a large pot over high heat and once it begins to lightly smoke add in the chicken, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Flip over, turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes and then flip back for a further 5 minutes or until browned and cooked throughout.
Remove the chicken and roughly dice. Set aside.
Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic to the pot and sweat the vegetables over low heat for 8-10 minutes until tender.
Add the chicken back in along with the rice and chicken stock. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
Make the cornstarch and water mixture and mix it into the soup. It will become very thick.
Finish by adding in cream, parsley, salt and pepper.
- How to Store: It will last up to 5 days covered in the refrigerator.
- How to Freeze: Cover it and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Be sure to thaw it for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
- How to Reheat it: Add your desired amount to a medium size pot and heat over low heat until hot.
- What if It’s too Thick: If for some reason the rice has taken over and it’s too thick, simply thin with a little bit of chicken stock.
- What if It Breaks and Turns Thin: If the cream separates for some reason, bring it to a boil in a pot and stir in the same amount of slurry and mix until thick.
- Make Ahead: You can make this soup up to 2 days ahead of time.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 515mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2932IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg