Grilled Wheat Pizza with Arugula, Prosciutto and Mushrooms
Forget the oven and get outside to make this Grilled Wheat Pizza with Arugula, Prosciutto and Mushrooms Recipe!
For the Crust:
- 3 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup of Semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1½ teaspoons of active yeast
- 1½ teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups of luke warm water
For the Sauce:
- 28 ounce can of Hunt’s® Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1/2 small diced yellow onion
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Toppings:
- 4 slices of prosciutto ham
- 10-12 fresh arugula leaves
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 sliced portobello mushrooms stemmed and gills removed
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 thickly sliced buffalo mozzarella ball
Dough: Add the flour, semolina, salt, yeast and sugar to a standing mixer with the hook attachment and mix together on low speed for 2 minutes.
Next, drizzle in the olive oil and then slowly drizzle in the luke warm water until combined.
Turn the speed to medium and knead for 5 to 7 minutes.
Place the dough in a bowl coated with olive oil and wrapped in plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.
Once the dough has doubled in size, dust a clean surface with some flour, and roll out each dough ball one at a time using your hands.
Preheat the grill to high heat.
Sauce: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium sized sauce pot on high heat and caramelize the onions and garlic; About 6 to 8 minutes.
Once brown add in the tomatoes and simmer on medium heat. Thicken with the tomato paste and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the dough has finished rising roll it out on a clean surface dusted with flour until it becomes a 12" circle.
Transfer it to a cornmeal dusted cutting board and spread 1/2 cup of sauce evenly all over the pizza leaving a 1/2 inch gap of crust around the outside.
Next sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese all over the sauce and add the buffalo mozzarella followed up with the sliced portobello mushrooms.
Place a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on the grill dusted with cornmeal and add the pizza and cook for 10 minutes while continuing to move around so that the crust does not burn.
Once it's finished top off with arugula, prosciutto and basil. Slice before serving.