Queso Stuffed Homemade Pretzel Recipe
Up your game with this amazing Queso Stuffed Homemade Pretzel Recipe that is packed with flavor!
For the Queso:
- 1 pound of loose chorizo sausage
- 1 pound of pasteurized prepared cheese product cut into 1” chunks
- 4 ounces of cream cheese cut into 1” chunks
- 10 ounce can of Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
For the Pretzels:
- 2 cups of warm water 110° to 115°
- 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt + more for seasoning
- 1 ½ tablespoons of dry active yeast
- ½ cup of melted unsalted butter
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks whisked with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash
- Kosher Salt
For the Pretzels: Preheat the oven to 450°.
For the Queso: In a small pot on medium heat add in the chorizo and cook until all of the pink is gone, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Next, add in the cheeses and Ro*Tel® and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted. Immediately cool in the refrigerator.
In a standing mixer bowl add in the water, sugar, 1 tablespoon of salt and sprinkle on the yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
Place on the hook attachment and pour in the butter and flour and knead the dough on high until it begins to pull away from the bowl, about 5 minutes.
Pour the vegetable oil into a bowl and place in the dough. Cover in plastic wrap and keep in a dry warm place for an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
Before it is time to form the dough, bring 1 cup of baking soda and 1 gallon of water to a boil in a large pot.
To form the dough, take a small piece and roll it into a bowl and then press it down with the palm of your hand on a cutting board to flatten it out.
Take a teaspoon of the chilled queso dip and put it in the center of the dough and wrap the dough from the outside in completely enclosing the queso dip and set aside. Repeat the process until the dough is gone.
Turn down the boiling water to a simmer and cook each pretzel dough 1 at a time for 30 seconds each and then place back on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Once all of the pretzels have been cooked in the baking soda solution, brush the tops with the egg wash and season heavily with Kosher salt.
Bake in the oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm!