Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe with Marshmallow Merengue
Leave the pumpkin pie at home this year and try this amazing Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe with Marshmallow Merengue!
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 2 hours
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 cups of ice cold unsalted butter cut up
- 1/4 cup of ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 3 large sweet potatoes baked and skins removed
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
For the Marshmallow Merengue:
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 8 ounce jar of marshmallow whip
Sweet Potatoes: Wash the potatoes and bake at 375 for 60 minutes.
Crust: Add the ingredients, except for the water, into a food processor and pulse until it becomes like a meal. Slowly drizzle in the water until the dough begins to slightly come together.
Remove the dough and roll it out on a clean flour dusted surface so that it will fit into a 9” pie tin.
Form the dough to the pie tin and trim any access. Chill in the refrigerator until the sweet potatoes are done baking.
Filling: Peel the sweet potatoes and add them to a large bowl along with all the other ingredients and mix until combined.
Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 60 to 65 minutes at 375° or until it becomes firm on top and in the center.
Merengue: While the pie is cooking add the egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar to a standing mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until they’ve reached medium peaks, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Next, add in the marshmallow whip and mix on high speed until it reached stiff peaks.
When the pie is done cooking add the marshmallow merengue to the top of the pie in any decoration that you’d like and bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until they are browned.
Serve the pie warm or cool and enjoy!
- I like to add a cookie sheet tray to the rack under the sweet potatoes in case they open up a bit and leak out some juice.
- You’ll know the pie crust is ready to roll out as the mixture will hold together if you squeeze it.
- You can add all of the filling ingredients to a standing mixer, using a hand mixer or a potato mill, which is what I do. Sweet potatoes also mash pretty easy so don’t worry about being able to get them broken down.
- The pie will become firm in the center with little to no jiggle.
- For the marshmallow merengue, you will know they reach medium peaks when you pull out the whisk attachment and the merengue hold but at the top peak fold over a bit.
Serving: 16g | Calories: 273.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.41g | Protein: 3.4g | Fat: 10.48g | Saturated Fat: 6.33g | Cholesterol: 56.11mg | Sodium: 146.75mg | Potassium: 149.23mg | Fiber: 1.06g | Sugar: 28.04g | Vitamin A: 3801.59IU | Vitamin C: 0.58mg | Calcium: 37.43mg | Iron: 0.84mg