My cooking is all about bold flavors infused into the simplest of dishes, and this wood plank salmon recipe is no different. Wood plank cooking in general is pretty cool and really seamless. For one you don’t really have to worry about anything burning and two you can get some awesome smoky and citrusy flavors from cooking on planks. The orange glaze in this dish just makes the wood plank salmon so dang tasty and the side of asparagus and peppers sautéed in garlic just further compliment everything that is going on. If you are looking for simple and tasty with a touch of class than do this Wood Plank Salmon Recipe with Asparagus up tonight!
Wood Plank Salmon Recipe with Asparagus
- 2 pounds of fresh skin on salmon
- 2 cedar planks soaked in water over night
- 2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 ounce of cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons of finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 bunch of trimmed asparagus
- 2 sliced red bell peppers
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, brush it with the melted butter and place it skin side down on the soaked cedar planks. Next, place the planks on a hot grill and cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
- While the salmon is cooked, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to a hot medium sized saute pan and caramelize the ginger. Once the ginger is brown add in the citrus zest and juice, followed by the soy sauce and honey and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up. Once thick, stir in butter and adjust any seasonings and set aside.
- In a separate hot large saute pan with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil caramelize the garlic. Once brown, add in the asparagus and pepper and saute for 4 to 6 minutes or until the asparagus are al dente.
- Serve the sauce on top of the salmon and along side the vegetables.