So I was knocking out a recipe for a client (check out the Reynolds bakeware line) the other day for a simple Vanilla Cake Recipe with Lemon Butter Cream. Now this isn’t something that I would normally include on my website. Not that it was bad by any means, it was dang delicious, but more because it was just so simple that I didn’t think I had a place for it on here. But as I get into it, I forgot about all the intricacies of baking and how much love and patience goes into it. In the end, I loved how thematic it looked and thought it was good enough and for sure pretty enough to share with all of you. Enjoy!
That’s right those are flowers from our garden on this Vanilla Cake Recipe with Lemon Butter Cream 🙂
How’s that for a thematic cake lol!
Vanilla Cake Recipe with Lemon Butter Cream
For the Cake:
- 5 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of softened unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk
- 3 cups of sugar
- 3 1/2 cups of cake flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
For the Lemon Butter Cream:
- 1 1/4 pounds of softened unsalted butter
- 6 cups of sifted powdered sugar
- juice of 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup of whole milk
- For the Butter Cream: add the butter to a standing mixer with the paddle attachment and cream together the butter and sifted sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. Once it is to this consistency slowly beat in the lemon juice and whole milk. Set aside.
- For the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. Once it is to this consistency add in an 1/3 of the eggs at a time until completely beaten in.
- In a separate large bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Next alternatively add in the dry ingredients and wet ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar mixture beginning and ending with the dry.
- Once the batter is made, divide them into three 9 inch baking rounds that have been buttered and floured (or just purchase the non-stick Reynolds bakeware version).
- Place the rounds in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until light brown and cooked in the center.
- Let rest completely before icing with the lemon butter cream.