While I was creating this Grilled Cheese with Turkey Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam I was definitely making a fresh tomato soup behind the scene to dip this thing in, and it was glorious! I’ll have to redo the soup so I can give you the recipe, however the grilled cheese is beyond ridiculous to eat by itself. It has the perfect balance of sweet, tart, salty and savory all wrapped up in one amazing bite!
The best part about this Grilled Cheese with Turkey Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam is that it’s super easy to make, you just need an hour or less with most of that time being dedicated to caramelizing the onions. I have to stress that you need to take the time to do this, which will be about 45 minutes. There is nothing, I mean nothing more delicious than caramelized onions. The smells, the flavors everything about this is good as it relates to cooking. Not-too-mention they are phenomenal as an accompaniment to sandwiches, burgers, seriously anything!
While the onions are caramelizing this is perfect timing for cooking the Butterball Turkey Bacon! I’ve always cooked bacon on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper because I believe it gets them the crispiest and it doesn’t curl up. However, you can fry them up in a pan, no problem. I would have for sure had more bacon, but I can never resist eating a few slices after cooking… WHOOPS!!
Once the onions and bacon are done cooking, it’s all about assembly. I used brioche bread because dang it is it soooo good! Layer up with fig jam, caramelized onions, crispy bacon, provolone cheese, cheddar and smoked gouda. Once you top off with the remaining slice of brioche cook it in a pan with melted butter until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted. ENJOY!!
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 2 sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices of brioche bread
- 1 packaged of cooked crisp Butterball Turkey Bacon
- ½ cup of fig jam
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 slices of cheddar
- 4 slices of smoked gouda
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan on medium heat with 2 tablespoon of butter, caramelize the onions until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Add in the sugar to help brown.
- Finish the onions with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat in a meduim size saute pan.
- Layer 1 brioche slice of bread, 2 tablespoons of fig jam, caramelized onions, 3 to 5 pieces of crisp cooked turkey bacon, 1 slice each of provolone, cheddar, smoked gouda and finally the other slice biroche bread.
- Brown the grilled cheese in the pan with melted butter on both sides until the cheese is melted. Repeat 3 more times.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Butterball. The opinions and text are all mine.