In light of creating oatmeal 9 different easy ways, I came up this tasty Trail Mix Steel Cut Oats Recipe. Think of all the glorious things that go in trail mix, and now you can top off your oatmeal and stir them in for an awesome combination of flavors! I used almonds, pistachios, chocolate chips, dried cherries and currants, but you can use whatever you’ve got in the house or whatever you want to pick up from the store!
A little over head shot of this Trail Mix Steel Cut Oats Recipe!
Trail Mix Steel Cut Oats Recipe
- ½ cup of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of roasted and salted almonds
- 2 tablespoons of pistacios
- 2 tablespoons of currants
- 2 tablespoons of dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Bring the water to a boil in a medium size pot and mix in the steel cut oats. Turn the heat to low and occasionally stir for 20 to 25 minutes or until the oats are al dente and the water is absorbed.
Next, stir in the salt and butter until mixed in.
Top off with a mix dried fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.