Gosh I love soup, I know I say it all the time but it’s true, and this Three Sisters Soup Recipe with Chicken is so comforting that you’ll be sure to make it a few times this winter season.
For this recipe you can either trim up a grocery store bought rotisserie chicken or simply carve up one roasted from scratch, you choose.
Once it’s trimmed, use the leftover chicken bone carcass to make a simple stock. Add in some onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves and fresh thyme leaves and lightly simmer over low heat for 2 to 4 hours.
If you are unfamiliar with what Three Sisters is, it’s a combo of beans, squash and corn which is a Mexican cuisine staple. They would grow all 3 right next to each other, and by doing this it would help make the soil even more rich and in return make even more delicious fresh produce. Add in some Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes and a few other things and boom, you’ve got a Three Sisters Soup Recipe with Chicken.
I served the soup up with some cooked long grain rice, crispy tortillas, lime and cilantro for a little more love.
I can’t help it, because to me it’s all about the toppings .
Three Sisters Soup Recipe with Chicken
For the Chicken Stock:
- 1 roasted chicken carcass meat and skin removed
- 1 small roughly chopped onion
- 2 roughly chopped carrots
- 2 roughly chopped stalks of celery
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 2 peeled and small diced carrots
- 2 small diced stalks of celery
- 2 seeded small diced poblano peppers
- 15 ounce can of pinto beans drained
- 15 ounce can of black beans drained
- 2 cups of corn off the cob
- 1 thinly sliced yellow squash
- 28 ounce can of Hunts® Diced Tomatoes undrained
- meat from 1 trimmed rotisserie chicken roughly chopped skin removed
- 6 cups of chicken stock homemade
- 1 ½ tablespoons of ground cumin
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: cooked white rice cilantro leaves, tortilla chips, limes
- For the Stock: In a large pot add the chicken bones, roughly chopped onion, carrots, celery, thyme and parsley, and enough cold water to cover the bones by 1 inch.
- Cook the stock over low heat for 4 to 6 hours. Strain and discard the bones and vegetables. Set the stock aside.
- In a large pot on high heat with olive oil, add in the onions, carrots, celery and peppers and saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Next, add in the beans, corn and squash and saute for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, chicken, chicken stock and cumin and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper and add serve with optional garnishes.