If you follow me on social media then you know my unhealthy obsession with college football and all things tailgating. I am always twisting up my tailgates with cool new foods or putting twist on classics of course. I’ve been dying for an awesome wing recipe and I think I found one! I made some of the tastiest teriyaki glazed wings I’ve ever had, thanks to the amazing crust on the chicken, seriously! I first sort of marinated the chicken wings in sesame oil for about 30 minutes to just incorporate some flavor and then it was all about the breading.
Start by making a simple egg wash consisting of eggs and whole milk. Doing this will help the flour stick to the chicken. Next I used Bob’s Red Mill(r) Organic All-Purpose Flour which was perfect because it’s so rich. Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour is unbleached, unbromated white flour milled from certified organic, U.S.—grown wheat. It is not enriched with any additives and it’s excellent for providing the perfect coating on my chicken wings. I also add in a little corn starch to ensure it’s light and fluffy along with some salt and cayenne for some flavor.
Next it’s all about the frying! I’m fortunate enough to have a deep fryer, but you can absolutely achieve the same end product by cooking them in oil in a pot with a candy thermometer. Simply add in your canola oil and set the temperature to 350° and cook for 7 minutes for a perfect golden crusted cooked through delicious chicken wing.
The glaze is incredibly easy and coat the chicken so well, you’ll be amazed at how delicious it tastes.
Big picture below for pinning and Happy Tailgating!
For the Chicken:
- 24 chicken drums or wings
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill r Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- sesame seeds for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
For the Teriyaki Glaze:
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 2 cups of water
- ¾ cup of packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
- For the Teriyaki: Combine the soy, water, brown sugar and honey to a medium size pot and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling whisk in the cornstarch-water mixture and cook until thick set aside, and keep warm.
- Preheat the fryer to 350
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs and milk and keep cool. In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, salt and cayenne pepper until combined.
- Next, add the chicken wings to the egg wash mixture and coat. next add them 1 at a time to the flour mixture to coat before setting aside on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken wings into the fryer, 8-12 at a time and cook for 7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through out.
- Once all the chicken wings are cooked add them to a bowl with the teriyaki glaze and toss until coated. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.