What can I say, this has been the worst Winter of my 32 years of life. I can’t remember when it was this cold and had this much snow.. In any event, it was time to bust out the Slow Cooker to make this easy Slow Cooker Chicken Cassoulet with Pesto that is loaded with flavor. I made this pesto with a pestle and mortar, but for time and ease feel free to pop it in a food processor – what ever’s easiest for you. For the slow cooker chicken, cassoulet has always been one of my favorite dishes and to keep it as healthy as possible I used chicken Italian sausage. You can use regular pork Italian sausage and can also add in Tasso ham, which is classic, but I’ve got a 1 year old and time is precious so Slow Cooker Chicken Cassoulet with Pesto it was! Enjoy!
You know I’m all about the angles, but I just couldn’t get enough of this Slow Cooker Chicken Cassoulet with Pesto
- 2 seasoned and sauteed split chicken breasts
- 4 seasoned and sauteed chicken thighs
- 2 cooked and sliced Italian chicken sausage
- 2 sliced carrots
- 3 sliced stalks of celery
- ½ small diced yellow onion
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 3 16 ounce cans of rinsed and drained great northern beans
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of packed fresh basil
- juice of ½ lemon
- ⅓ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of pinenuts
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a slow cooker lined with a slow cooker liner, add in the first 9 ingredients and cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- In a food processor add in the basil, lemon juice, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese and pulse 3 to 4 times. Add in olive oil and pulse a few more times until everything is combined and it is thick to make a pest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving the chicken cassoulet season the beans and veggies with salt and pepper and add on the pesto.