There is no better accompaniment to coffee than biscotti, or maybe those are just my thoughts because I am Italian. Either way they are extremely easy to make and are the adult oreo cookies for dunking, only in coffee and not milk, although milk would be good too. I just wanted to pass a long a quick recipe to get you making your own biscotti from now on. Of course you can add extra ingredients and flavors to kick it up! For now, have fun with this one!
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of whole anise seed
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. Once creamed add in one egg at a time until completely mixed.
- Next add in vanilla and anise seed and continue to mix for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Once sifted add to the creamed butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour dough onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and mold into a small loaf. Bake at 325° for 28-32 minute. Take out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- After cooling slice using a serrated knife into thin crostini like crackers. Place back on the sheet pan and cook on each side for 12-15 minutes or until a pale golden brown. Enjoy!!