Continuing the usage of the same ingredients to create three dishes, I was able to make some really good grilled salmon cake sliders with a tomato garlic lemon sauce. Leveraging the same techniques as the shakshuka I roasted up some garlic in a cast iron skillet right on the grill grates, and then added in whole peeled tomatoes, lemon zest, a little salt and pepper and let it stew.
To make the salmon cakes, dry out some of the rolls you plan on using to make these sliders, in the oven on 325° for 25 to 30 minutes. Once they are dried out process them until they become bread crumbs and set aside.
Next, add your fresh salmon to the processor and pulse until the salmon if finely minced and almost like a paste. Transfer it to a large bowl and mix in some diced sweet onions, soy sauce, 1 egg, those freshly made bread crumbs, and salt and pepper.
From there, form your patties, brush with olive oil, season again with salt and pepper and grill on high heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Add each salmon cake a roll cut in half and top off with some of the roasted tomato, garlic-lemon sauce. Don’t forget to pin the big picture below.
- ¼ small diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 14.5 ounce can of Hunt's® Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes, undrained, crushed with your hands
- zest of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 8 ounce fresh salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon of La Choy® Soy Sauce
- 1 egg
- 4 sliced in half rolls plus 2 dried out rolls and processed to bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Place a cast iron skillet on a hot grill with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and caramelize the garlic. Once it’s brown add in the tomatoes, lemon zest and salt and pepper and let it stew on high heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the salmon to a food processor and pulse until it becomes like a paste. From there transfer it to a bowl and mix with 1 egg, diced sweet onion, lemon juice, soy sauce, bread crumbs made from the dried out rolls, salt and pepper until combined.
- Next form 4 patties, brush each side with the remaining olive oil, season again with salt and pepper and cook on a hot spot on the grill for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until dark grill marks are formed and they are cooked through out.
- Finish by placing a cooked salmon cake on top of a sliced roll and top off with a few tablespoons of the tomato-lemon sauce.