Roasted Potato Soup with Yams & Crispy Bacon
This Roasted Potato Soup with Yams & Crispy Bacon recipe is perfect for those cold Winter days!
- 5 roughly chopped celery stalks
- 5 roughly chopped medium sized carrots
- 3 roughly chopped medium sized yellow onions
- 5 roughly chopped large garlic cloves
- 1 package of roughly chopped bacon
- 10 peeled and roughly chopped small to medium sized Russet potatoes
- 2 peeled and roughly chopped medium sized yams
- 2 peeled and roughly chopped medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1½ gallons of chicken or vegetable stock (can substitute with water)
- 1 cup of corn starch and ¼ cup of water
- 1 quart of cream
- 1 cup of chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- Lea and Perrins to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- In a large pot on high heat render the bacon fat. Once the bacon is cooked remove the lardons and set aside. Using the bacon fat in the pan caramelize the celery, carrots, onions and garlic. Once brown add in thepotatoes and stock and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked puree half of the amount with a hand mixer or a blender. You want the soup to be slightly chunky. Once pureed, bring the soup to a boil.
- Next, in a small bowl whisk together the water and corn starch and whisk it into the boiling soup until it is thick.
- Finish the soup with cream, parsley, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, Lea and Perrings and Tabasco.