If you’re looking for a lighter side dish that is loaded with flavor then make this delicious Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes!
Mashed cauliflower is a fantastic alternative to mashed potatoes especially if you’re looking to reduce the amount of starch intake. It’s easy to make, as healthy as you want to make it and still incredibly flavorful and an amazing side dish to serve during holidays or for a weeknight meal with family.
What Is It
It’s simply boiled or steamed cauliflower that is either mashed using a hand masher or adding to a food processor and processing it until it becomes smooth. It can be a chunky one or a smooth one, this part is completely up to you.
While it can be purchased year-round, it hits its peak season in the fall months.
How to Make It
- Trim the heads of cauliflower removing the main stem and all of the greenery and roughly chop the cauliflower
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and season with salt.
- Add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Note: If you squeeze it with your hands it should mash easily.
- Drain it and add it to a food processor along with the roasted garlic, butter, parmesan cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper and process on high speed until smooth and resembling mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve
Keto Mashed Cauliflower
This recipe is indeed keto-friendly with all of the fats that are being used in this recipe. You can absolutely swap out cheeses, and butter for other friendly keto ingredients.
Paleo Mashed Cauliflower
To make this recipe a paleo version, you would simply processor the cooked cauliflower with 1/2 cup of leftover cauliflower water that was used to boil it along with a small amount of olive oil for some fat, the roasted garlic and salt and pepper. While it would not taste the same as this recipe, it would be paleo-friendly and still very delicious.
Regardless of what you may be thinking, this is loaded with flavor and nothing short of delicious!
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
It is ok to have some of the cauliflower stems still in place when cooking and processing it.
When it comes to boiling anything the water should be as salty as the ocean.
No matter if you are making this or mashed potatoes it is important to incorporate a good amount of fat for the most amount of flavor possible.
Consider garnishing with fresh herbs as chervil, dill, parsley, tarragon, and thyme go well with cauliflower.
More Side Dish Recipes
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 2 heads of trimmed fresh cauliflower
- 20 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of chopped chives
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the cauliflower until it is tender and cooked throughout, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to a food processor along with the roasted garlic cloves, butter, cheese, sour cream, and salt and pepper until it becomes smooth and resembled mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with the chopped chives.
- It is ok to have some of the cauliflower stem still in place when cooking and processing it.
- When it comes to boiling anything the water should be as salty as the ocean.
- No matter if you are making mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes it is important to incorporate a good amount of fat for the most amount of flavor possible.
- Consider garnishing with fresh herbs as chervil, dill, parsley, tarragon and thyme go well with cauliflower.