DUDE!! I love making salads, and I mean this as humbly as possible, this may be the best salad I’ve ever made. From the roasted vegetables to the blackened tuna, to the delicious light vinaigrette that compliments so well. If for some reason the homemade blackening seasoning is a bit too intense to make from scratch, then simply pick a pre-made one up from the grocery store!Having all of these delicious Summer vegetables in season is key to this tasting so good. Maybe I should make a killer in season winter chopped salad? In any event, be sure to make this amazing Roasted Chopped Salad with Grilled Blackened Tuna!
Roasted Chopped Salad with Grilled Blackened Tuna
For the Blackening Seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons of Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dry basil
- 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dry thyme
- 1 tablespoons of cracked colored peppercorns
For the Salad:
- 12 to 15 ounce tuna fillet
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 head of finely chopped Romaine lettuce
- 4 stalks of finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped green onions
- 1 finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup of finely chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 ears of roasted corn removed from the cob
- 12 stalks of roasted asparagus roughly chopped
- 1 cup of sprouts
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of safflower oil
- Drizzle the shucked corn and asparagus with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast on the grill on high heat (450° to 550°) for 6 to 8 minutes. Once roasted place in the refrigerator to cool.
- After all of the vegetables are chopped and prepared, including the asparagus and corn, place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle in sprouts, cheese, and sunflowers to the vegetable bowl as well.
- Blackening Season: Combine all dry seasonings in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Place 3 tablespoons of the seasoning on a place with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roll the fresh tuna steak in the blackening seasoned olive oil and make sure to completely coat on all sides. Once it is coated place on the grill on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side to achieve a medium-rare internal temperature. Once cooked remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, soy sauce and safflower oil until it is completely blended.
- To Plate: Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss it around. Place 2 cups of the dressed chop salad on a plate, topping off with a sliced piece of the grilled tuna fillet.