Why Latkes are a tradition over only Hanukkah and Passover is beyond me, because these Potato Latkes Recipe with Homemade Applesauce were so dang good they are worthy of being made and eaten all year round. There are a few variations on making Latkes like using flour or matzo meal or what to fry them in. For instance most people don’t have Schmatlz (rendered chicken fat) just laying around the house so vegetable oil is the next best thing. Really regardless of those few ingredient changes they pretty much end up the same, and after you saturate them in sour cream or applesauce you won’t even notice :-). I’ve actually only made latkes 1 other time and that was at a country club in St. Louis, Missouri about 18 years ago so it’s been a minute. After taking that first bite though and realizing how easy they were to make I think without a doubt I will be making this Potato Latkes Recipe with Homemade Applesauce more often. Oh yea about the applesauce, it’s awesome. Definitely a little sweeter than a store bought version because I put some brown sugar in there but dang is it good. If you don’t want all that sugar simply replace the water with apple juice and remove the brown sugar. Enjoy this episode of SOIGNE for Potato Latkes Recipe with Homemade Applesauce.
Some pretty pics for you…
and one for pinning!
- 4 peeled, cored and chopped assorted seasonal apples
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 1 cup of water
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 orange
- 1½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 3 peeled and shredded russet potatoes
- ¾ cup of matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ small diced small yellow onion
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- vegetable oil and schmaltz for frying
- chopped fresh dill and chives
- sour cream
- Applesauce: add all ingredients to a medium sized pot and cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Next add to a blender or using a hand blender puree until smooth, then chill.
- Latkes: Shred the potatoes onto a large piece of cheesecloth or a towel and wrap up. Squeeze all of the liquid out of the potatoes and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the matzo meal, baking powder, eggs, onion, salt and pepper and then add in the shredded potatoes and mix until combined. It should be slightly soggy not wet.
- In a large saute pan on medium heat, add in equal parts of vegetable oil and schmaltz until ¼" inch of the bottom of the pan is covered in fat.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture into the hot oil and press down the spoon to flatten. Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through out.
- Let dry on a pan lined with paper towels and if you are preparing a lot then transfer them to a wire rack and keep them warm in the oven on 225°.
- Serve the latkes with sour cream and chopped herbs or with just applesauce.