This Pistachio Crusted Chicken with Pumpkin Sauce Pasta may sound a little odd to some, but I’m tellin you it is really good. Pumpkin is a squash and it really tastes as such just much more subtle. You really have to cook pumpkin down to make it taste like anything at all. In its natural form it is bland and almost tasteless. To be honest your could replace the pumpkin with just about anything, butternut squash, acorn squash, etc. I always make this dish around Halloween of course, because the grocery stores are overflowing with pumpkins and it seems appropriate.
The pistachio crust on the chicken is really good as well. After eating it I realized it would be good on a lot of other proteins like fish and pork. In any event if you’ve got pumpkins lying around or perhaps they are really cheap at the grocery store, pick one up and make this Pistachio Crusted Chicken with Pumpkin Sauce Pasta.
- ½ small pumpkin, skin and seeds removed and sliced thin
- 1 thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 cloves of finely minced fresh garlic
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of crushed pistachios
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 pound of linguine
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cook the pumpkin, sweet onions and garlic until it becomes thick and mushy. Once it is to this consistency, whisk in the cream, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook on low heat until it becomes thick. Keep warm.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the linguine until al dente. Once cooked, strain the water and add the noodles to the pumpkin cream sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Encrust the chicken breasts on all sides with the finely crushed pistachios and season with salt and pepper. Next, in a medium sized saute pan on medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cook the chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through out. Once cooked, remove from the pan and slice thin.
- To Plate: Lay down the pumpkin pasta with the sliced chicken on stop. Serve along side Fetzer Gewurztraminer.