First let me start off by saying I had no idea if this Pear-Ginger and Honey-Vanilla Jam was going to turn out half way through the cooking process. It definitely took a lot of prayer to get this where I got it. I made this Pear-Ginger and Honey-Vanilla Jam so that it would cut nicely with the saltiness of crackers and assorted cheeses that my buddies over at Sartori Cheese sent me, thanks guys! While the jam turned out fantastic I wouldn’t steer far from serving it with cheese and crackers. Not so sure I’d pair it up with peanut butter on a sandwich if you know what I’m saying. Really through out the process it sparked a huge interest into making some specialty jams so that I can eat more cheese and drink more wine :-). No but seriously it was fun to make and I’m interested to see what other cool flavors I can come up with. Who knows I may even bottle them up and sell them one day…
and a biggin to pin!
Pear-Ginger and Honey-Vanilla Jam
- 3 peeled seeded and roughly chopped pears
- 1/2 teaspoon of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 vanilla bean cut in half longways
- 2 packets of unflavor gelatin
- 4 tablespoons of ice cold water
- In a medium sized pot on medium-high heat add in the butter and ginger and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. do not toast the ginger.
- Next add in all of the other ingredients and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the pears are soft, remove the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds, and put the seeds back in the pot.
- Transfer the ingredients in the pot to a blender, and puree until it is smooth. Note: make sure there is some sort of opening on the lid of the blender or else it will explode hot jam every where.
- Once the mixture is pureed add it back to the pot and cook on medium heat.
- In a large bowl add in the water and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Next, whisk the jam into the bowl with the water and gelatin and immediately refrigerate over night or until it has solidified.
- Serve the jam with assorted crackers and cheese.