Everyone sets the reoccurring New Year’s resolution to eat healthier and get to the gym, including me. With a 2 year-old it can be so hard to eat really well and find time to get to the gym, to put in a good work out. While the gym is important, eating well is about 70% of what it takes to trim down and stay in shape. The question now is, what on earth to make to start the New Year?
With everyone hounding around the fresh produce at the grocery store, looking for the healthiest options to eat, save some time and money—take a stroll down the freezer aisle where peak season is always in! I absolutely love berries, but as a chef I recognize that there are only a few months when they are at their peak. In the freezer aisle, berries are picked when they are at their freshest and then frozen for convenience. What this means for me, is that my recipe play book opens back up and I can make the things I really want using frozen berries all year-long.
Lately, I’ve been on a kick making smoothies that are loaded with antioxidants and greens to help supplement a meal and to make sure I’m getting enough good foods in my body for recovering after a work out. The biggest kicker is that it tastes awesome and it almost feels like your cheating a meal. No one I know after eating something really tasty and healthy says that they wish they didn’t eat it, and the best part about it is that it’s quick! The frozen berries act as flavored ice cubes and help chill the coconut water and spinach to make it a perfect smoothie!
Just like you I am constantly on the go and quick, healthy and tasty are always at the top of my list. To make my morning Mixed Berry and Banana Smoothie really shine, I pair it with an amazing breakfast egg burrito that is premade and comes straight from my stocked freezer. It’s also the perfect accompaniment for even more protein. To spice it up a bit, serve it alongside an easy to make lime-cilantro sour cream.
With all of the craziness that life can offer, give back some time for you and your family by making these tasty, healthy and quick meals. Get more great tips and recipes at http://www.easyhomemeals.com.
A nice pretty picture for pinning below!
Mixed Berry and Banana Smoothie with Spinach
For the Smoothie:
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 1 cup of packed baby spinach
- 2 cups of frozen Dole® strawberry-banana blend
- 1 cup of frozen Dole® blueberries
For the Burrito and Sour Cream:
- 2 Evol® frozen breakfast egg burritos
- 1 cup of Daisy® sour cream
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of ½ lime
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Smoothie: Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Consistency should be similar to a slushy.
- Burrito: Follow the instructions on the back of the frozen Evol® burrito for cooking. Be sure to thaw in the refrigerator over night for a quick cook in the microwave.
- Sour Cream: Whisk together the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Chill before serving.