Shrimp Spring Rolls with Mango Basil Dipping Sauce
For the Spring Rolls:
- eight 20-26 sized peeled and deveined shrimp
- ½ teaspoon of chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 cup julienne cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 julienne small peeled carrot
- ½ cup of julienne red leaf lettuce
- 2 julienne green onions
- 1 cup of bean thread noodles + 2 cups of boiling hot water
- 10 rice paper sheets + 2 cups of very warm water
- juice of fresh lemons
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 20 to 30 fresh cilantro leaves
For the Mango-Basil Dipping Sauce:
- 3 ripened soft mangos, peeled and roughly chopped (core removed and discarded)
- ½ small roughly chopped red onion
- 1/2 small jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons of chiffonade fresh basil
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Serves 2 to 4
- Spring Rolls: In a large bowl add together the boiling water and bean thread noodles and let stand at room temperature. Noodles will cook by themselves (5 to 6 minutes)
- In a large sauté pan on medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, caramelize the ginger. Once brown add in the shrimp and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the shrimp are completely cooked through. Once cooked, season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan and chill immediately.
- Once the shrimp have been chilled, slice them long ways and set aside.
- Next, place the rice paper sheets 1 to 3 at a time in a pan with 2 cups of very warm water until they become malleable and translucent.
- Once the paper is malleable, remove 1 sheet from the water and place onto a cutting board. Place a small amount of the cooked bean thread noodles to the center of the rice paper along with a small amount of red leaf lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, green onions, shrimp and 2 to 3 fresh cilantro leaves. Fold in the sides of the rice paper and simply roll up until it is tight.
- Once all of the rolls have been completed, place them in between damp paper towels and chill before serving.
- Mango-Basil Dipping Sauce: Add mango, onions, pepper and pineapple juice to a blender and puree. Once combined and smooth, finish with basil, lime juice, salt and pepper and chill before serving.
- To Plate: Cut the spring rolls in the middle on a bias and serve along side the mango dipping sauce.